A variety of locally produced crafts can be found in the shops and bazaars of Stone Town.
Buying such goods benefits the local community:
- Embroidered ‘kofia’. These are hats as worn traditionally by Muslim Men
- Khanga –Cloths for women and Kikoi cloths for men worn as a skirt or a waist wrap
- Tie and die and Batik materials and table cloths
- Tinga tinga’ paintings
- ‘Mkeka’- Woven Mats‘Udi’
- Incense burners and Candle holders made from clay
- Zanzibar Spice Baskets
- Soaps and scented oils
- Women’s henna body painting available in salons around Stone Town
- ‘Mkoba’- Woven Baskets
- Recordings of local music Taarab, Jambo jambo, etcWood carved doors and chests
Shops Opening Times : Monday to Sunday: 09h30-18h00 & Fridays: 09h30-11h30 and 14h00-18h00 Money changes and ATMs are available in Stone Town only.